Where to Look at This Time of Solstice

I was wondering what to blog about today and decided to open up my book, Opening the Heart: Meditations on How to Be, to find inspiration. I flipped to a page with my eyes closed and thought right for the right side page. 

This is the image that I found. It seems appropriate to me as we move towards the winter solstice and the darkest day of the year here in the northern hemisphere. We can see this as a time of reflection as the world settles further into hibernation for the winter months. And, where better to seek it, whatever it is, in our hearts rather than in our egos or minds. 


It might seem as if we are seeking in darkness, in the void, but I have had the experience of the door in my heart opening and being able to see what lies inside. It might happen like that, it might be whispers in the heart or mind. Sometimes it might just be knowing. 

I wrote a poem inspired by this meditation. This is it: 



It Resides in You


It, whatever it is
to you, exits in you.
It, whatever it is,
waits on you
to seek it, to find the
seed, the germ of it;
the seed that is
buried in your heart.
Imagine it, breathe into it.

Your breath,
your dreaming
is how you find it
and nurture it—as
you would plant
and water a seed.


©2017 Kathryn L. Samuelson 

Then there is the allowing it to flower. I have much work to do on the letting things flower, nurturing them and bringing them into being. Work to do on bringing things into being without being desperate, the kind of emotion that gets in the way and makes things not happen.

The first image is from my book (here). The second is by Chen YiChun and was found on unsplash.com


Comments