The Beauty of Where I Live

I was driving home from my chiropractor appointment in the nearby community of Woodstock (no, not that Woodstock). I turned off the radio so that I could pay more attention to the beauty of the scenery that I was driving through. We had quite a bit of snow on Christmas Day. The sky was blue. The snow had "iced" everything. So much snow was on the ground that I couldn't tell where the Ottauquechee River was except by knowing that it was at the bottom of a somewhat shallow valley.

Times may be chaotic and changing. My financial situation may not be quite where I want it to be, but I have a home that keeps me safe and warm. I have enough money to pay my bills and the growing wisdom not to buy things I don't need. Plus family and good friends. I have much beauty that surrounds me in the physical sense and in the figurative sense.

Spring will bring the greening of the area. Come summer I will be surrounded by the flowering of nature. One of my favorite places is a park located next to the Connecticut River with a view of New Hampshire on the other side of the river. Then comes the fall which can be quite spectacular here if the temperature and rain fall cooperate.

Much of the beauty of where I live is in my choosing to see the beauty that is here rather than to only focus on the chaos of the human world. 

I hope to keep my focus, at least at times, on the beauty that surrounds me. I hope that same for you.

The first photograph is by Patrick Bald and was found on unsplash.com. I took the second photograph at a local park.  

Comments