Big Magic II

This is another poem that came to me basically fully formed, although I did "tinker" with it a bit. The name comes from the fact that it appeared in my mind just as I had laid down to go to sleep. I got out of bed, went into my study and wrote down what had come to me. I went back to bed, and thought something along the lines of, "so you're not done yet." I got back up and went into the study to write down the rest of the poem. So, here it is: 

Poetic Visitation Upon Going to Sleep

words writ upon
the skin
do not explanations 
make or 
sorrows erase

so I shall
not write 
them there, 
but rather
put them here
and there
to evaporate
as smoke 
rising in the air

words that rest
briefly upon
the tongue, shelter
in the brain, 
merely as if pausing, 
creating phrases
too elegant to be
from my mind

then I know I have been visited,
for amusements sake,
by a muse or 
possibly by a word
witch going laughingly
on her way 

© 2016 Kathryn L. Samuelson

Comments