What is my tradditional dance?

   

I was watching a video of the Abbott Bromley, England Horn Dance. The link to the video was posted on the blog Myth & Moor (windling.typepad.com). The Horn Dance is a very old English dance going back to at least the middle ages.  

I suddenly asked myself what is my traditional dance? I'm pretty sure it's not the dances native to this land. Those belong to the indigenous of the Americas. So, those are not mine. I don't have a physical connection to any of the lands where my DNA comes from as I haven't spent any extended time in any of them. Does having DNA from somewhere make their traditional dances mine? Not so sure about that.   

The only thing that makes sense to me is possibly the wild, ecstatic dance of women coming down to me through my blood and bones from millennia ago. I sometimes feel this in my bones. I sometimes see myself (in dreams and meditations) whirling to music and drum beats. I can feel it throb in my bones when I listen to certain music. Cyndi Lauper's The Sisters of Avalon is one such song. So, is this women's ecstatic dance my traditional dance? I still don't know. Maybe I'll figure it out some day.

****

I found this photograph by David T on unsplash.com. Please click here if you would like to know more about me and my services.

Comments