May You Live in Interesting Times


     I was talking with my sister recently. She reminded me about what I think is a Chinese "curse." It's "May you live in interesting times." We had been talking about the current situation, the chaos, the changes we seem to be undergoing. I told her about the Hindu concept of the Yugas (ages). As I understand it (and this might be wildly inaccurate), there is a cycling of Yugas: Gold, Silver, Bronze, and what we are currently in, the Kali Yuga. Kali is the goddess who destroys evil among a number of things that she does. At least that's what Wikipedia says.
     I read that, once we are through the Kali Yuga, we will enter into the golden yuga. One author I read calculated that the Kali Yuga would end in 2024. Hmmm. Makes me think about the Age of Aquarius and the end of the Mayan Long Count Calendar. I have always assumed that any change brought about the end of a cycle could take awhile to fully manifest.
     This is merely my belief, but I think that the old order is fighting change. I believe that what we are going through is similar to lancing a boil or an abscess. The pus can't come out until you do, and healing can't take place until you get rid of the crap. The abscess is lanced. Now comes getting rid of the crap so that we can heal and move into the next age.
     One way to look at the pandemic is that Mother Earth and Mother Nature is telling us to slow down, to rethink how we live as a culture, and to make changes that are transformative. We can use this slow down in a way similar to letting fields be in a fallow state. We can rest, recharge, and think about how we want to be moving forward.
     Change happens. I can't control all change, but I can control my piece of it.
****
I found Steven Hille's photograph on unsplash.com. Please click here if you'd like to know more about me and my services.

Comments