Being Enraged; Butting Heads


     Do male Bison (aka American Buffalo) see red before they start butting heads, posturing and fighting? At least, in the case of the Bison, one walks away a winner and the species continues--that is if humans don't kill them off. (I'm not saying that people should engage in this behavior--after all there is a species of bird where the males build elaborate nests to woo female birds.)
     But, what about us, the planet and everything on it when we become enraged, see red, call others "others", and see everything on the planet as exploitable. When we metaphorically butt heads. None of us win. Not even those who exploit the situation or the planet. They feel they win, but what damage are they doing to their spirits, their souls, the planet? A lot I think. I am not in a position to know how many lifetimes it will take to repair that damage.
     Bison aren't doing irreparable harm through their mating dance. They actually help the prairie lands with their hooves when they roam looking for food as I recall reading. Their mating game does not spread hate to the planet or to other species. It seems to me that human rage is the rage that generally, as a species, is not contained.
     Is there a better way? I think so, although it may not be easy for us to arrive at it as a species. It's called acting through love and compassion. I was given the meditation saying "You are the Beloved." for my book. It's companion is this:

  
     How much of our rage comes from fear and feeling that we are unlovable, unloved? So, in our fear and rage we turn against not only ourselves but also others. What if we see ourselves as loved? Wouldn't this allow us to more easily love.
     And, along with self-love comes compassion, compassion for yourself and, as important, for others. I think others includes that planet and everyone and everything existing on it. What would happen if all children were taught that they are loved, taught to quiet and center themselves to find inner peace and the compassion that blossoms from it? Much I think.
    (This is a link to a podcast about enemies and, in fact, loving our enemies: https://theliturgists.com/podcast/2017/10/3/enemies-live-from-los-angeles)

****
The Bison photograph is by Uriel Sobranes and was found on unsplash.com). The other image is from my book, Opening the Heart: Meditations on How to Be. Please click here if you would like to know more about me, my services and my book.

Comments