There is Time for Fun No Matter How Serious Things Are

I am not sure that this post will necessarily be more humorous than my recent string of posts, but it is necessary to balance serious work with play. The saying after all is: "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." Or it can easily be: "All work and no play make Jill a dull girl." So, play on.



I don't want to limit definition of play, except that it should be something that brings laughter, joy, happiness, or connection with the lighter side of ourselves. It can be any number of things. Gardening, walks in nature, playing tag with your children or grandchildren, visiting the local museum, and who knows what else. Making art can be play. Knitting at a knitting guild can be play. 

It seems to me as I reflect on play as I write, that it could, and maybe should be, something that breaks us open to let connection and light into our hearts and souls. It can also help us cross the divide between ourselves if we find play that we both enjoy. Laughter is healing. We can see that we aren't completely separate if we laugh together. 


Another thing about play is that it can often require that there be two or more people playing. Playing a board game by myself probably wouldn't be much fun, although I suppose something like scrabble might just be possible, but I'm not sure how I could do that without cheating. 

So, I guess I'm giving myself and all of you permission to go out and have fun. 


****

The first image is from my book, Opening the Heart: Meditations on How to Be. For information on the book, please click here. The second image is by Clem Onojeghuo and the third is by Damian Patowski. I found both on www.unsplash.com.

For more information about my services, please click here.

Blogger tells me that it and Google put cookies on my blog. I believe it is for analytic purposes only. The sites I put links up to probably also use cookies. I hope you continue to read my blog

Comments