Crazy Blue Jay Thoughts

I know that the common image in meditation is monkey mind, that mind that whirls and jitter bugs around. Just won't be quiet. 

I was out this morning walking in the park near where I live. It's a beautiful place next to the Connecticut River. The Town I live in in Vermont leases the land for the park from an electric company. There is a swath of land next to it that is usually full of wild flowers, grasses and the like as electric poles run from the nearby electric generating dam north to where ever the generated electricity ends up.

I was remembering this morning that it was just about a year ago that the company mowed down all the wild flowers and grasses so that it could work on replacing wires and poles. I wasn't there the days that it happened, but I was told that it caused quite a ruckus with all the birds, whether tree or ground nesters. 

Almost all of the birds had left by the time that I showed up at the park to take a walk. One single blue jay was still there -- at least I didn't see or hear any other birds. It was around the 2nd or 3rd time I came to walk that the jay started dive bombing when I was in a certain area of the park. It became so annoying I had to find somewhere else to walk until it had migrated.

In remembering this this morning, I realized that sometimes monkey mind is not the problem. Sometimes it's old thought patterns or statements that show up out of nowhere and dive bomb me. The old "I didn't do that well enough" or "I'm not good enough" types of thoughts.


I think I'd rather have thoughts that act like cats, show up, curl up and purr. Thoughts that leave me feeling happy and with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Thoughts that allow me to feel expansive, to feel what's right with me and my life, not what's "wrong."







****

Blogger tells me that it and Google put cookies on my blog. I believe that they are for analytical purposes only, but can not say for sure. I do not put on cookies on my blog; however, the websites that I post links to may very well use cookies. I hope you choose to keep reading my blog.

Amy Reed took the first photograph and Callum Lewis took the fourth. If found both on unsplash.com. I took the other 2 photographs.  



Comments