Am I Lost?

What makes me feel lost? What makes a group of people or a culture lost? I suppose it can be various things, although I know that I have been spending far too much time indoors with the weather we've been having in Vermont. Well, plus doing something odd to the outside of my left knee - which is slowly but surely healing. I have not been feeling like talking really long walks between the two. I have felt somewhat disconnected from nature, from the earth because of this. Does this make me lost? What if, despite this, I still know where and who I am? 

David Wagoner wrote one of my favorite poems called Lost. This is it: 

Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you
Are not lost. Where you are is called Here.
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger.
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen. It answers, 
I have made this place around you.
If you leave it, you may come back again, saying Here.
No trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you,
You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest knows
Where you are. You must let it find you. 

It strikes me that I can find Here even if I am not in a forest. I can find here by standing still and breathing. If I just look around and inside myself, I can surely find Here. I can know what a tree and bush do even sitting here at my desk typing this post. 

The photograph is by Jamie Street and was found on unsplash.com

Comments