Language Matters

Sometime I think we need to remind ourselves (and I include myself in this we) that language matters, that what we name things, what we call each other matters. What we say and the words that we choose to say it matters. 

I'm sure that it's no surprise by now that I am not a fan of the current administration or the Republican Party; however, I am not a fan of the language that the progressives and the Democrats use either. I sometimes email some group back asking them to change the language that they use. Where is the insight, the compassion in the dialogue (or rather the lack of dialogue) that's going on these days?


I believe that it is a Buddhist precept to ask 3 things before we speak (and I'm sure I fail at this frequently): Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? It may be true but not kind. Then you should only say it if it's necessary as I understand this precept. If it's not true, well then don't say it. 

I receive far too many political emails to read all of them. And, the ones I do read quite frequently use rude language, especially the daily email that gives links to writing about current events. I feel that what is written can be said without calling the other side unkind names. I want to change the dialogue but am not certain how to do that, except occasionally, as I said, emailing back and asking they change their language. 


I also think that changing the language can be an act of compassion for ourselves. It might dial down the anger and frustration that can harm us as well as those around us. I'm not saying we shouldn't speak out and act on our beliefs. But, maybe changing how we speak and write can help us find the things that we have in common with the "Other." Maybe we can give ourselves some breathing room to see clearly without knee jerk reactions.

Anyone want to join me in the movement to change the language? Anyone have a clue how to do this? 

The first picture is by Soner Eker and was found on unsplash.com. The second and third images are from my book, Opening the Heart: Mediations on How to Be (here).

Comments