Helping out a Friend

I have a friend, who I will call Amy as I haven't asked her permission to write about her in depth here. I will also somewhat disguise the situation she finds herself in for the same reason. At any rate, she found herself victimized in a scam because someone stole her friend's identity. (I do often think that if the perpertrator's would spend as much time, effort and creativity into creating a legitimate business that they and the world would be much better off.)

Amy is also in the metaphysical business but has reached out on a couple of occasions asking about the situation. She asks because she says she is too close to the situation. I am happy to ask my angels and guides about the situation and relay the guidance I recieve to her. 

In how many ways can we provide small (or large) services to help out a friend? My helping Amy today did not take a lot of time. It did not take a lot of effort. It hopefully has provided some clarity about what is going on. 

In how many ways can we proivde services to help out a neighbor just as we would help a friend? I had a neighbor knock on my door one day asking if I could follow her while she dropped off her car for a repair and then take her back to pick it up. I, truthfully, would have preferred that she had asked me a bit more in advance, but I had the time so I said sure. 

And, how do we define a neighbor? Solely the person next door, down the block? Is someone in the next town a neighbor? In a different country? It all comes down to perspective, I suppose.

A different friend commented once that she was struggling with the love your neighbor as yourself as there are people she just doesn't like. My response to her was that I didn't think that love meant familial or romantic love in this case, but rather it is wishing the best for everyone. To me, on reflection, just as you would wish the best for family and friends, loving your neighbor is wanting everyone to be healthy, having a decent safe place to live, fulfilling work, good food, clean water, and so on.

I am not trying to say that I am great because I did these things for a friend and a neighbor. I wrote about them because sometimes we all can get caught up in the idea that it is only the big, grand gestures that count, when most likely, it is the small things we do to help that make a huge difference in the world. 

Note: the photos are from my book, Opening the Heart: Meditations on How to Be (here).

Comments