What Story Do I Stand In?




This question is the last line from one of the chapters in Charles Eisenstein's book, The More Beautiful Our Hearts Know is Possible (here). The chapter is called Story. He writes in his book about the world living in what he calls the Story of Separation but moving into the Story of Interbeing. So, his question is essentially which of these stories am I standing in at this moment? I think that a follow-up question could be is the this the Story I want to stand in? He acknowledges that it could be shifting for each of us as the Story of Separation is still lingering. 

I chose to use this image that I took on a trip to Ireland back in 2002. It symbolizes for me the choice to make. Do we stay in the Story of Separation or do we move into the Story of Interbeing. I took the picture looking through the gateway out towards the outside of this extremely old stone fort. We can choose to stay walled in by our fears, by our separateness, or we can choose to walk through the "gate" of letting the old go and moving into the Story of Interbeing. 

I hope that I have walked through that "gate" and am standing, mostly, in the Story of Interbeing and am helping the world move from Separation to Interbeing.  My sense from reading the book is that, according to Eisenstein, when we move into the Story of Interbeing we help others by the unseen consequences of our actions. Our actions can have a ripple effect that we are unaware of: a kindness to someone can radiate outwards, creating more kindness. Helping someone with a problem can also radiate outwards. The corollary is that hate, anger and greed can radiate outwards also. 

I also have had a sense for some time that, what I have been calling the Old Order (Story of Separation?) is not wanting to give up and to move out so as to allow the New Order (Story of Interbeing?) move into place. Those of us who remember the 1960s remember the song, The Age of Aquarius (here). What many of us did not realize was how long it would take for the Age of Aquarius to come fully into being. 

I do feel some frustration that those who envision a different way of being, of relating are using the language of the Old Order. They take about fighting against something. They send out emails which have subject lines full of desperation and the awfulness of things. Eisenstein posits that what should happen is a shift from fighting against something to fighting for something. I would even say the language should be working for something rather than fighting for something. 

Not only should actions and visions change to help us shift into the Story of Interbeing, but language should also change. Words have meaning. Words have power. Words may even have energy and resonance.

So, again, I hope that I am moving into the New Order, the Story of Interbeing through my thoughts, dreams, actions, and words. 


Comments