The Call to Action

I have previously posted about breathing. One post was based on the meditation in my book, Opening the Heart: Meditations on How to be (here). I also posted a poem that I wrote based on that meditation. I did write a post on November 9, 2016 about both breathing and acting, but strikes me that the times can seemingly call writing and thinking about action and breathing on numerous occasions. So, this post is about the meditation image about acting and the poem that is its companion. This meditation saying is:  "Action is the counterpart to breath. Be in the world.", as well as the poem I wrote about this meditation image. This is the image: 



The thing about breathing and action is finding the balance of the two. Neither seems, to me, to be as rich without the other. Breathing can reduce or eliminate anger, anxiety, fear, and any other emotions that can blur vision and move us away from acting from compassion and love. But what is breathing without acting on the dreams that breathing puts us so deeply in touch with? Breathing allows us to receive a vision of what action we would like to take. But then failing to act is something that makes life less fulfilled, less rich. The accompanying text in Part 2 of the book talks about taking action in a joyful and heartful way so as to bring light and peace into the world. 

May we all be able to do this. 

The poem I wrote to accompany this meditation is: 


Call to Action

Breathing is not 
           enough
the angels said.
Action is the 
          counterpart to breath.
One must be in the world, 
making the dreams, hopes, wishes
         solid, real. 

Question: how do you breathe and act
        in the same moment? 

©2017 Kathryn L. Samuelson

Comments