Light in the World

I was listening to Krista Tippet interview 2 poets, Marilyn Nelson and Padraig O Tuama (I can't do the diacritical marks on his name), on her show On Being. Part way through the show, Marilyn Nelson quotes the poet Kate Ryan whose poem talks about people being the light or rather the way light enters the universe.

I began to think about this while listening to the program as I was really struck by this statement. I wanted to remember this idea. Then the poetry muse came to visit and this popped into my head: 





Light in the World 

Let us abandon 
the anger and 
resentment
covering our fear.

Let us face this 
fear and ask
where does it 
come from, 
what generates 
this fear?

Let us face our 
fear, welcome it, 
take it in our 
arms, soothe it.

Maybe then 
we can no longer 
be fearful and 
become one of 
those through which 
light enters the world.


©2018Kathryn L. Samuelson

This feels true to me, although there may be other ways to become one through whom light enters the world. I would like to be able to fully be a light in the world. 

I also think that people are how fear enters the world. I want to continue to work to be less fearful, less worried, resentful, and less able to let things trigger anger in me from time to time. I mean the anger that makes us see red, makes us withdraw from others and leads to hate rather than the kind of anger that leads us to action based on compassion and connection to others. 

If any of this makes sense. I think it does. I hope it does. 



****

The first photograph is by Matthew Broduer and the second is by Mervyn Chan. Both were  found on unsplash.com.

I can help you on your journey through Life Coaching or Channeled Angel Readings. My book, Opening the Heart: Meditations on How to Be can help you as well. Please click here for more information. 


Blogger tells me that it and Google put cookies on my blog. I believe that they are for analytical purposes only, but cannot say for sure. I do not put on cookies on my blog; however, the websites that I post links to may very well use cookies. I hope you choose to keep reading my blog. 

Comments