Sometimes I Just Need to Take a Step Back

I read a few blogs. One of the ones that I read regularly has created what he calls the Army of Good. They support him by sending donations for the work he is doing at a local senior home and with an area refugee group. He also promotes other causes. I know that he did not intend to make others feel inadequate or that they are not doing enough. He is just encouraging people to do what they can while letting the Army of Good know what he is doing with the money. I let myself feel somewhat badly that I'm not doing more. Then, I took a step back, so to speak, and realized that I am doing what I can. I just don't have an Army of Good to assist me.

I also realized that I had to take a deep breath and take a step back from a situation a friend has created in her life. I allowed myself to get sucked into the belief that she has about this situation. But, the more I thought about the ongoing situation, the more I realized that much of what I was being told makes no sense. I have had to wish my friend well in this situation but step back and try to disengage from it. I no longer want to communicate about this situation. I've said my piece, and now my friend and I now need to move onto other topics as she refuses to see things from a different point of view. 

Another instance of stepping back for me came just this past day or so. I saw a video on youtube.com which claimed something contrary to what I thought about history. I did some research and discovered that, yes, the video maker was incorrect. I thought about commenting on the video but decided to take a step back. It just didn't seem my place to try to correct to the video maker as my assessment was that the video maker seems to be what might be termed a true believer. I decided that I was probably not going to convince the maker or any of those commenting otherwise.

Stepping back can be an act of compassion for myself as it stops me from regret, from giving myself a hard time about something. Stepping back can keep me from becoming embroiled in other people's drama or from being subject to potential vitriol for trying correct other people's beliefs. There are just times when it's not my place and/or not worth the emotional toll. Other times it is important to step up rather than back. I just think in these 3 instances that stepping back is what I needed to do.

The photograph is by Bryan Rodriguez and was found on unsplash.com.

Comments